What is Virtual Private Server?
- Posted By: admin
What is Virtual Private Server?
You might come across this term everyday now: Virtual Machine / Virtual Server.
This uprising is in fact popularize by the invention of technology especially in hardware, which allows a single server to have high resources such as 512 RAM, 40 Terabytes of storage or 24 cores of processors – as application/software usually will not utilize such resources; hence, the invention of virtual machine (VM) to segregate the resources to function as multiple different servers.
How different is virtual machine compare to a normal server?
Imagine your server as a full baked pie – A round circle delicious pie. This pie is to be eaten by you entirely – and most likely you will not be able to finish off the entire pie too. Hence, you distribute the pie to 8 different people to enjoy it together. This is the case with VM, it is a pie that divided and given to another user and that user obtained full access to the pie, whether they want to eat it in a different way (Adding sauce, reheat or cutting it half to another user – it is up to them). A VM is basically a segregated resource in a physical hardware – where the RAM, CPU, disk space and other resources are fully allocated to that user – and whether the user wants to install Windows or Linux, preparing it as web server or database server, it will be up to them without disturbing the resources allocated to other users.
With new technology available, VM has upper advantages in comparison to a physical server – the VM itself can be migrated to any other physical hardware as long as the new hardware is configured to support the VM environment (Reducing migration time or reinstallation hassle). Further, VM can be backup entirely – in comparison to a physical server where the backup usually runs on file level, VM backup includes the Operating System, files, and configurations (Basically the entire VM)!
Virtual Private Server, is basically a Virtual Machine provided by TheGigabit on monthly subscriptions basic; TLDR – VPS advantages are listed as below:
- More flexible
- You can customize your hardware and software configurations and run your own applications
- Low cost
- It is less expensive compared to a dedicated server plan with one server
- In order to lower the monthly fee, the hosting company can spread the cost of running and maintaining the server across all businesses operating on a given machine
- Better security feature (Compare to web hosting services)
- This is because you are not sharing space with others. Hence, the other parties will not affect the uptime or accessibility of your website.
- Require low technical knowledge
- The owner access the VPS is through the graphical user interface control panels which is much easier than dedicated servers that are requiring a manual configuration.
You might ask, how do I know if I need a VPS or normal hosting plan?
- Your website traffic has grown
- Upgrade your server to VPS, If your website traffic has increased and you don’t want your website is loading too slow (As shared hosting usually has limited resources capped by hosting providers – it is still a shared space afterall)
- You are establishing an online store
- Upgrade your server to VPS allows you to have a secure and dedicated virtual server where you are more likely to pass a PCI (Payment Card Industry) compliance test.
- The customers will have the confidence to make the online transaction on your online store
- You want to install a custom software
- You need to upgrade your server to VPS if you wanted to run an application or you are engaging in another advanced programming
Then, what about a Dedicated Server since VPS has everything I need?
- When you required a higher resource as VPS usually has limited capacity, you still do not have entire “pie” to be utilized
- When you required further enhance security as your application might required a security audit, or PCI DSS compliance
- When you are running a business to end user as subscription basis – for example, a hosting business or accounting software
- When you required to build an entire infrastructure with database server, web, application and production servers to be segregated to run different functions
If you require further consultation or advise on which plan is more suitable for your business, please do not feel hesitate to contact our sales consultant – [email protected]. We will be more than delighted to help you through!